English Language Arts (ELA)
Student achievement begins with understanding the conditions, successes, and challenges of each school within our district.
To qualify for a state high school diploma, a student must earn a minimum of 24 Carnegie units of credit in state-approved courses distributed as follows:
- English Language Arts (must include English 2) 4.0
- Mathematics (must include Algebra 1) 4.0
- Science (must include Biology 1) 3.0
- Social Studies 3.0
- Must include US History/Constitution (1.0)
- Must include Economics (.5)
- Must include US Government (.5)
- Personal Finance .5
- Foreign Language* 1.0
- Physical Education or JROTC 1** 1.0
- Computer Science 1.0
- Electives 6.5
*Many colleges/universities require a min of 2.0 credits for Foreign Language
**Must include a health component
Course offerings will vary per school. Check with the individual school counselors to verify.
South Carolina College- and Career-Ready Standards for English Language Arts (ELA) are the result of a process designed to identify, evaluate, synthesize, and create the most high-quality, rigorous standards for students. The standards are designed to ensure that students are prepared to enter and succeed in economically viable career opportunities or postsecondary education and ensuing careers.