Student achievement begins with understanding the conditions, successes, and challenges of each school within our district.
To qualify for a state high school diploma, a student must earn a minimum of 24 Carnegie units of credit in state-approved courses distributed as follows:
- English Language Arts (must include English 2) 4.0
- Mathematics (must include Algebra 1) 4.0
- Science (must include Biology 1) 3.0
- Social Studies 3.0
- Must include US History/Constitution (1.0)
- Must include Economics (.5)
- Must include US Government (.5)
- Personal Finance .5
- Foreign Language* 1.0
- Physical Education or JROTC 1** 1.0
- Computer Science 1.0
- Electives 6.5
*Many colleges/universities require a min of 2.0 credits for Foreign Language
**Must include a health component
Course offerings will vary per school. Check with the individual school counselors to verify.
Beaufort County School District has a proud tradition of providing student leadership opportunities through JROTC programs. JROTC is a federal program found in schools across the United States and at US military bases across the world. JROTC instills in high school students the values of citizenship, self-discipline, and leadership skills. JROTC provides elective credits and is open to any high school student who has an interest.
There is no military obligation to participate in JROTC.