Family Early Childhood Services
A collaborative outreach funded by Title I and Together for Beaufort providing early childhood learning centers and parent education services to rural areas which are currently underserved. Opportunities are provided for children and their parents, Pre-K teachers, and local area caregivers to enjoy special monthly activities, distribution of free books, lesson plans, parenting materials, and more. Sites include a number of churches, housing projects, area child care centers, area elementary schools, Head Start, NOC Neighborhood Outreach Connection, KidFest and more.
Follow us on Facebook to learn more about the Beaufort County School District Traveling Preschool Bus. Visit the Traveling Preschool Bus and discover what parents and caregivers need to know about school readiness.
- Developmentally appropriate early childhood activities for children birth through 5 years.
- Learning Centers including art, dramatic play, blocks, housekeeping, sand & water table, and more.
- Parent Education brochures, pamphlets, and videos.
- Referral information for family support services available in Beaufort County.
- Free books and materials for the children.
Developmental screenings provide you a quick look to see if your child’s development is on track. Early identification can change your child’s future!
Developmental screenings are offered monthly across Beaufort County. Children ages 2.5 through 5.11 years can receive vision, hearing, speech and a developmental screening provided by a team of early childhood professionals, a nurse, and speech and language pathologist.
Referrals to early childhood agencies and services are provided for individual families and children based on screening results to ensure all children enter school ready to succeed.
You can support your child’s development by:
- Sharing information about your child’s development with your healthcare provider
- Asking about any concerns you have regarding your child
- Following the recommendations of the screener
- Scheduling additional evaluations when recommended
You can help your child by:
- Planning time throughout the day to read, talk, sing and play
- Offering a variety of nutritious foods
- Providing time to be active, run, jump, hop and skip
- Providing routines and daily schedules
To schedule your child’s developmental screening appointment, please call:
Beaufort County School District
Office of Early Childhood
843-521-2399 or 843-322-2300
The Beaufort County School District’s Parents as Teachers program is an early childhood, parent education, and family support program serving families from pregnancy through five years old. The program serves families throughout the community.
Being a parent is hard work. Parents as Teachers helps you understand child development and connects you to the resources you need to make the best choices for your family.
Our certified Parent Educators provide free home visitation services customized for the needs of each family center around the knowledge of early childhood development and parenting practices.
Goals of the program include:
- Increase parent knowledge of early childhood development and improve parenting practices.
- Early detection of developmental delays and health issues.
- Prevent child abuse and neglect.
- Increase children’s school readiness and school success